By William J. Fanning Jr.
an idea born out of analysis with electrical energy and different strength assets, the dying ray or “directed strength weapon” was once commonly suggested for almost 5 a long time. Claims for its invention seemed as early as 1876, and elevated thereafter, till the “death-ray craze” of the Nineteen Twenties and Thirties. the assumption inspired fiction, making its method from newspapers and magazines into novels, brief tales, movies, theatrical productions and different media. This publication takes a first-ever examine the ancient demise ray and its influence on fiction and well known culture.
Read Online or Download Death Rays and the Popular Media, 1876–1939: A Study of Directed Energy Weapons in Fact, Fiction and Film PDF
Similar popular culture books
It is a biography of the arguable and flamboyant 19th century healthcare professional Francis Tumblety. The doctor’s exploits contain arrests for complicity within the Lincoln assassination, promoting abortion medicinal drugs, killing sufferers, indecent attack, and scrutiny as a potential suspect within the “Jack the Ripper” murders.
Americans are nonetheless fascinated about the romantic proposal of the "noble savage," but understand little in regards to the genuine local peoples of North the USA. This two-volume paintings seeks to therapy that through analyzing stereotypes and celebrating the real cultures of yank Indians at the present time. • Contributions from forty seven distinctive students, writers, performers, and curators—both local and non-Native—from the us and Canada• images of latest powwows, historic figures, indigenous structure, and modern and old paintings• A accomplished bibliography on the finish of every bankruptcy
The activities of Europe and the U.S. have been imitated and assimilated and have become symbols of nationwide and cosmopolitan identification. This paintings examines the nationwide and overseas significance of activity and its position in shaping post-millennium international culture.
Via rap and hip hop, entertainers have supplied a voice wondering and hard the sanctioned view of society. reading the ethical and social implications of Kanye West's artwork within the context of Western civilization's preconceived principles, the members think of how West either demanding situations non secular and ethical norms and propagates them.
- Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and The People Who
- The Historian's Wizard of Oz: Reading L. Frank Baum's Classic as a Political and Monetary Allegory: Reading L.Frank Baum's Classic as a Political and Monetary Allegory
- Tearing the World Apart: Bob Dylan and the Twenty-First Century (American Made Music Series)
- Visual Culture Revisited: German and American Perspectives on Visual Culture(s)
- Schulklassen als soziale Netzwerke: Eine netzwerkanalytische Studie zu Peer-Beziehungen in binational-bilingualen Schulprojekten (Schule und Gesellschaft) (German Edition)
Additional resources for Death Rays and the Popular Media, 1876–1939: A Study of Directed Energy Weapons in Fact, Fiction and Film
Death Rays and the Popular Media, 1876–1939: A Study of Directed Energy Weapons in Fact, Fiction and Film by William J. Fanning Jr.
- Download e-book for iPad: Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary K. Greer
- Get Recipes for a Healthy Life PDF